Search Box hijacker is a widespread computer threat. This tricky malicious software is able to infect all popular browsers, that you are probably using: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera. Search Box steals your homepage, search and error pages and show up itself instead. So, how Search Box can harm your PC?
First of all, it will palm off malicious sponsored links instead of the relevant results for your search queries. Then, it may lead other unwanted programs into your system and run the additional process which will cause your PC work slowdown. Furthermore, Search Box will show you thousands of useless ads and banners which may link you to the deceptive recourses. In the end, it will gather your personal information and transmit it to the third-parties for their dishonest goals. Still in doubt, should you remove it? So, follow the secure browsing rules to prevent your computer from browser hijacker infections in the future. Almost all of such malicious programs are spreading throughout the “bundling” with the freeware, so please don’t forget to read EULA or check the “Adwanced” option.
hijacker removal guide
Step1. Remove page from the browser
First of all, is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by , and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
Step2. Remove traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed !
Video guide on how to remove Betternewtabsearch.com from the system:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.