SmartService is a new type of infection, that stands for a malicious process which may be enabled and running in your computer. The main process of it VMXclient.exe can connect to the web sites without your consent and cause a lot of damage to your system. In this guide you will find more information specifically regarding SmartService process, its role within your PC and ways of its effective elimination from the system.
SmartService was installed among with a PUP (Potentially Unwated Program) sMark5, that is promoted as anonymous VPN service. It is not a new service, but just recenly SmartService became bundled in it. When it gets installed on your PC it will block all security programs and prevents any possibility of elimination. SmartService is also able to protect some processes from being disabled, so you can’t delete some protected files. For example, it protects Trojan.Clicker that is installing with SmartService. VMXclient.exe is the main procces of the virus. It connects to sites using a hidden browser process, so there will be ads and other unwanted pop-ups, but you won’t see it – it is in a hidden winodow. It is not just block antivirus programs, it even prevens downloading and installing it if it has digital signature.
SmartService сommon places:
VMXclient.exe main process info:
Product name: winvmx
Size: 1 MB ( 1087488 bytes )
No digital signature
SmartService detection rate:
malicious (high confidence)
a variant of Win32/Adware.5Hex.B
Adware ( 00508fff1 )
Adware ( 00508fff1 )
|Palo Alto Networks (Known Signatures)||
Generic PUA ME (PUA)
|ZoneAlarm by Check Point||
SmartService installs into the system together with other software, so you need to be very careful as to what else you’re going to make the part of your computer. In case you read the information about some other programs you really do not need, go ahead and switch to the advanced (custom) installation mode to prevent all such unwanted software from penetrating into your system. Also, the reason why SmartService malware came to your system is because your available anti-virus program (if any) failed to perform its direct function of defending your system from malware.
Step by step instructions how to remove SmartService virus.
STEP 1. Remove SmartService virus from the system
First of all, SmartService is a browser extension, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft.
- Return to main screen and choose the type of scan.
- Start the scan and wait untill it`s finished:
- After the scan is completed, you need to click on “Cure PC!” button to remove SmartService virus:
- Now your system is free from annoying SmartService browser extension!
STEP 2. Remove SmartService virus from your browser
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Trojan Killer (here or from the product page):
- Open the program and click on the Reset browser settings button.
- Select when options you want to reset and press “Reset“
Wait untill Trojan Killer sets selected options to the default state. Successful results will be checked with green checkmark.
Video guide bellow display how to remove SmartService from your system completaly:
STEP 3. SmartService prevention
- Avoid advertisements, you shouldn’t click on any ads and pop-ups in your browser, this can lead to the redirection on potentially viral pages!
- Spam messages from email, attached files in emails can appear to be malicious in most cases. Don’t download or open such attachments they can be infected with adware of malware!
- Surfing the internet, there are millions of phishing website on the internet. Each one of them can be very dangerous for your computer. Avoid such pages, try only reliable and trusted websites!
- Pay attention to what you install, there are tons of hijackers and malicious program that are being installed through bundled applications and downloaders. Don’t install any suspicious program and files, always check signer before proceding further!
By following this removal instruction we hope you will deal with SmartService virus once and for all. In case you have any problems or this virus is still inside, leave a comment below or contact our Support Team.