SearchDefence.com, also known as Search Defence, is a browser hijacker that will replace your favorite home page. It is a website classified as a browser hijacker. If you install a certain hijacker, it will set the site as your homepage and new tabs without permission, and then try to redirect you to sponsored sites. Those redirects are the main reason why hijackers even exist, so they do not provide anything useful.
SearchDefence.com alters your search engine and browser homepage behind your back. Both get replaced with the hijacker’s own malicious domain. As you could imagine, using this program to surf the internet wouldn’t be a good idea. Secure-surf.net only provides sponsored web links and some highly questionable search results. Plus, the hijacker will permanently track your browsing data and may transfer this information to third parties for various illegal purposes.
SearchDefence.com comes into your system alongside with free software. This method calls bundling. Most of the times users even do not notice that some additional programs gets installed with the mail one. We recommend to remove Search Defence ASAP!
SearchDefence.com hijacker removal guide
Step1. Remove SearchDefence.com page from the browser
First of all, SearchDefence.com is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by SearchDefence.com, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and SearchDefence.com has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that SearchDefence.com hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
Step2. Remove SearchDefence.com traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed SearchDefence.com!
Video guide on how to remove SearchDefence.com from the system:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with SearchDefence.com in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.