The Search.searchw3m.com is a webpage that looks like normal and legit search engine. If it is on your computer, then it means that your browser is infected with a hijacker. This hijacker page installs along with free software anyone can download from the Internet on various shady and suspicious websites. Fortunately for you, Search.searchw3m.com is not malicious by itself and it will not harm your computer directly. Nevertheless, it will change some of your browser’s settings and attempt to redirect you to sponsored websites that will appear instead of search results. In addition, it might redirect you on malicious links that are promoting malware masked as something else. This browser hijacker exists for purposes of making a profit from advertisements and collecting information on search queries.
Search.searchw3m.com may easily infect practically all popular browser. This definitely includes Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. When you start either of them, you will notice that the home page got changed into Search.searchw3m.com. Furthermore, when you start looking for some information through the hijacked search form your queries will be redirected through searchw3m, which can’t be considered as a genuine search provider.
The main goal of Search.searchw3m.com page is in data collection of all people that are using this page. This hijacker can collect information on them and send it to cyber criminals on the analysis. After that, they can use this information for a lot of purposes, for example selling it to some other companies. The installation of Search.searchw3m.com hijacker will be silent and without your permission, in most cases. During the installation, some the browser settings will be changed to Search.searchw3m.com website, that will make your browser show this page on every start. And now the worst part of this hijacker – not every user sees just a new homepage. Many user reports that their browser redirect them to different molecules resources where they offered to install an extension or download additional software.
This behavior is classified as unwanted. Along with this, developers can alter the search results in your browser through this page by injecting ads in search results page, making them irrelevant. Because of all this, it is advised to remove Search.searchw3m.com hijacker page from your browser and check your computer with a proper removal tool. Follow the removal guide for more information.
Search.searchw3m.com removal guide
STEP 1. Remove Search.searchw3m.com virus from the browser
First of all, Search.searchw3m.com is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by Search.searchw3m.com, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and Search.searchw3m.com has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that Search.searchw3m.com hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
STEP 2. Remove Search.searchw3m.com traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed Search.searchw3m.com!
Video guide on how to remove Search.searchw3m.com from the system:
STEP 3.How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with Search.searchw3m.com in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.