SupportFreeContent is a browser hijacker that is targeted towards all OS users. The page itself may not look like a typical browser hijacker, but it does function like one. It replaces your browser settings, inserts adverts into your pages, causes redirects, and more. The hijacker spreads online through free software bundles. It is aimed at boosting web traffic and that is why it makes the already-mentioned symptoms. The hijacker cannot damage your PC on its own, however, it can expose you to unsafe online content. If you are a security-minded computer user, you should eliminate SupportFreeContent from your browsers.
SupportFreeContent hijacker switches your homepage and default search engine to SupportFreeContent. This page presents your with a search box, quick access buttons, weather report, and lots of links to various articles. Quick access buttons lead to social media pages. The articles are divided into various categories including News, Travel, Sports, Science, and so on. As for the search box, if you make use of it, you will get rerouted to Google page.
SupportFreeContent inserts pop-ups, banners, links, and other ads into your visited sites. It does not matter what the page is about, it will still contain the advertisements. The hijacker will also cause redirects to its sponsor pages. You will notice these symptoms in all of your browsers. You will also notice that your Internet surfing speed has decreased. In order to eliminate these inconveniences, you will have to terminate SupportFreeContent.
SupportFreeContent hijacker removal guide
STEP 1. Remove SupportFreeContent virus from the browser
First of all, SupportFreeContent is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by SupportFreeContent, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and SupportFreeContent has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that SupportFreeContent hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
STEP 2. Remove SupportFreeContent traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed SupportFreeContent!
Video guide on how to remove SupportFreeContent from the system:
STEP 3.How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with SupportFreeContent in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.