Open Plugins is an extension that might enter your computer if you carelessly install free software. This is why it may be regarded as a browser hijacker. These kinds of unwanted items are attached to free software in a way that allows them to install alongside. In order to prevent these installations, you need to pay close attention to the process and manually deselect what has been added. Browser hijackers are not malicious and they generally aim to make income by exposing you to sponsored content. It may be following your browsing sessions and gathering certain kind of information about your browsing habits. We recommend that you delete Open Plugins extension.
If you do not recall obtaining this plug-in from any legitimate/official web page, then it must have entered your computer together with free software. It was attached to it in a way that allows it to install alongside. In order to prevent this from happening, you need to use Advanced or Custom settings when installing free software. Those settings will allow you to deselect what has been added and you will be able to proceed to install the freeware safely. If you install a lot of freeware and rush through the processes, it would not be surprising if your computer would be full of these kinds of unwanted items. Whichever way you installed it, you should uninstall Open Plugins extension.
If you did not install the extension yourself, the changes it will make might come as a surprise because you might not be asked to permit them. The thing about browser hijackers is that they not always allow you to change the settings back as long as they are installed on your computer. So if you realize that you cannot set a different homepage, you will have to delete Open Plugins extension first. Your new homepage will have links to popular websites and a search bar allowing you easily access various search engines. It will still insert advertisements into the results so be careful not to click on them, as they might not be safe. Some hijackers are known to record certain information about users by following their browsing sessions. That information is then sold and adverts specifically for you are created using it. There are more reliable add-ons out there, so we suggest you uninstall Open Plugins extension.
Automatic removal tool for Open Plugins:
Click here to download latest version of GridinSoft Anti-Malware
Removal instruction for Open Plugins:
- First of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware.
- Run to scan your computer system with it.
- Shut down all your available browsers.
- In GridinSoft Anti-Malware click on “Tools” and then on “Reset browser settings“:
- Follow the instructions, select browsers you need to be reset, and click on “Reset” button. Finally, restart your computer to apply all made changes:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with virus in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore always” button. In case, if you want to terminate a malicious program, you must select “Block always”.
Simple tips you must follow to decrease chances of being reinfected by Open Plugins:
- Advertisements. You shouldn’t click on any ads and pop-ups on websites, this can lead to the redirection on potentially viral pages!
- Spam messages from email. Attached files in emails can appear to be malicious in most cases. Consequences for this will be infection with malware or adware program. Don’t download or open such attachments!
- Surfing the internet. There are thousands and millions of phishing website on the internet. Each one of them can be very dangerous for your computer. Avoid such pages, try only reliable and trusted websites!
- Using anti-virus programs. It is essential to use protection program that won’t let any viruses to get inside even if you will make any mistake.
- Scan your computer from time to time. A lot of trojans and viruses may infect your computer without you even noticing it. That is why you should perform a scan at least once a week. In GridinSoft Anti-Malware you can do this automatically, you just need to set up a “Scheduled Scan” in “Settings” tabs.
- Pay attention to what you install. There are tons of malicious programs that are being installed through bundled applications and downloaders. Don’t install any suspicious program and files, always check signer before proceeding further!
That is all! Leave your comments and questions below, or use our ticket system to make contact with our professional support team. We will gladly help you!
Portable anti-malware scanner
By the way, if you want to use the portable version of GridinSoft anti-malware scanner, we are happy to represent you the Trojan Killer Portable. Especially for your memory stick – be sure that your private data is safe wherever you go! Feel free to try it now: