MuralSearch is the name of a deceptive and potentially malicious browser extension and webpage. Browser extensions like MuralSearch for Google chrome are typically recognized as adware and browser hijackers because once they are installed they will make unwanted modifications to existing internet browser settings without consent of the user. The MuralSearch browser extension will replace the existing homepage with itself. This will cause affected web browsers to start-up on the webpage when a new browser window is opened. The extension will also change the new tab page and default search engine. When this occurs a new tab page will open on MuralSearch and web searches via the address bar will redirect to the website.
The website promoted by the MuralSearch extension contains sponsored search results and advertisements, which is why browser extensions like this are often considered adware. The browser extension is also known to be deceptive and illusive. It may utilize deceptive marketing tactics in order to trick users into installing it. In some cases, the browser extension may be installed without user knowledge and consent.
Once concerning piece of information about the MuralSearch extension for Google Chrome is that it does not disclose the fact that it will essentially hijack your homepage, new tab page, and default search engine before it is manually installed. Browser extensions contain public permissions which usually list what the browser extension has permission to do once it is installed. The MuralSearch extension does not disclose that it will change your homepage, new tab page, or search engine. This is likely because no one really wants to download a relatively unknown browser extension that will replace their settings in order to see potentially irrelevant search results from a third-party and suspicious website, or a website with a bad reputation.
MuralSearch hijacker removal guide
Step1. Remove MuralSearch page from the browser
First of all, MuralSearch is a browser hijackers, like many others (such as Onclkds.com, offers.boumio.com, hao.360.cn etc.). So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by MuralSearch, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and MuralSearch has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that MuralSearch hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
Step2. Remove MuralSearch traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed MuralSearch!
Video guide on how to remove Betternewtabsearch.com from the system:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with MuralSearch in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.