Ecosia.org is a browser hijacker that can take over your browser without your knowledge. It can install onto your computer if you do not pay enough attention to how you install free software. Users are not attentive enough and developers take advantage of that. If Ecosia.org is, indeed, on your computer, you will find that your browser’s settings have been changed without your knowledge and you cannot restore them. Ecosia.org is not malicious and will not do much beyond changing your browser’s settings but it might be able to expose you to dangerous content. Browser hijackers aim to generate traffic and they do that by redirecting you to sponsored websites. If you were to be redirected to the wrong web page, you could end up with malware on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you remove Ecosia.org.
Ecosia.org will make unnecessary changes to your browser. Your homepage and new tabs will be changed to Ecosia.org and undoing these changes might be impossible without first having to remove Ecosia.org. The provided search bar redirects users to Google so there’s little use in using this hijacker because you can just use Google. Ecosia.org might make advertisements so that it could generate traffic for sponsored websites. We suggest you stay away from everything that has anything to do with Ecosia.org because while it’s not malicious itself, it could bring about trouble. Malware is not something you want to take lightly because it can do serious damage. Therefore, do not put your computer in danger, and delete Ecosia.org.
Just like any other browser hijacker, Ecosia.org spreads via software bundles. It’s attached to free software as an optional item, one you can choose to install. That choice is taken away from you if you pick Default mode when installing freeware. Those settings do not show you any added items and if there is something, it will install automatically. This is why it’s important that you pay attention to how you install freeware.
Ecosia.org hijacker removal guide
Step1. Remove Ecosia.org page from the browser
First of all, Ecosia.org is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by Ecosia.org, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and Ecosia.org has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that Ecosia.org hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
Step2. Remove Ecosia.org traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed Ecosia.org!
Video guide on how to remove Ecosia.org from the system:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with Ecosia.org in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.