The Petya ransomware is one of the worst computer viruses you will never want to encounter in your whole life. It is listed as the top file-encryption infection that sneaks into computer silently. The worst part – you can’t even prevent it! If you have access to the Internet it can attack your system. Our tech team found that Petya File Virus is packed on third party freeware and spam email attachments. How to remove it and decrypt your files? How does it attack? Read below.
Usually Petya ransomware attacks HRs. It sends emails with very specific topics – for example, CV. Seems like nothing suspicious, isn’t it? The letters are accompanied by a link to the full portfolio of the applicant, the file of which is placed on Dropbox. Of course, instead of a portfolio, you will have an application_portfolio-packed.exe. Once that has happened on your system, it will drive you crazy. Petya File Virus will encrypt all your personal files if you do not remove it in time. Your documents, photos, emails, PDF files, music, movie, video and other types of files will be all diseased. With time going on, you will find that more and more files cannot be open anymore. Petya File Virus shows you warning messages to tell you that you have to pay $300 worth of Bitcoins and send the money to their account if you want to restore the encrypted files. It warns that you will be able to restore any files if you do not buy the decryption key, and they will ruin all your files if you try any other way to recover your files. But it has been revealed that even you pay the fees to exchange the decryption key, the restoring of your files cannot be guaranteed. You may pay for nothing and still lose all your files. Therefore, it’s best not to send any money to these cyber criminal.
At this moment, removal of Petya File Virus will be the right action you should perform, thus you will have a slim chance to decrease the number of encrypted files and guarantee the safety of your system. After you delete Petya File Virus completely, you can count on some famous software specialized in file restoring to recover some files. Now follow this guide to save your system and files. Hope it can help you
Step by step instructions how to remove Petya virus.
STEP 1. Remove Petya virus from the system
- First of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Trojan Killer (here or from the product page):
- Return to main screen and choose the type of scan.
- Start the scan and wait untill it`s finished:
- After the scan is completed, you need to click on “Cure PC!” button to remove Petya virus:
- Now your system is free from annoying Petya browser extension!
STEP 2. Remove Petya virus from your browser
First of all, Petya is a virus what can be realy dangerous. So, here is the simple way to remove them from your computer. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft.
- Open the program and click on the Reset browser settings button.
- Select when options you want to reset and press “Reset“
Wait untill Trojan Killer sets selected options to the default state. Successful results will be checked with green checkmark.
Video guide bellow display how to remove Petya from your system completaly:
STEP 3. Petya prevention
- Avoid advertisements, you shouldn’t click on any ads and pop-ups in your browser, this can lead to the redirection on potentially viral pages!
- Spam messages from email, attached files in emails can appear to be malicious in most cases. Don’t download or open such attachments they can be infected with adware of malware!
- Surfing the internet, there are millions of phishing website on the internet. Each one of them can be very dangerous for your computer. Avoid such pages, try only reliable and trusted websites!
- Pay attention to what you install, there are tons of hijackers and malicious program that are being installed through bundled applications and downloaders. Don’t install any suspicious program and files, always check signer before proceding further!
By following this removal instruction we hope you will deal with Petya virus once and for all. In case you have any problems or this virus is still inside, leave a comment below or contact our Support Team.