When your home page or start-up page begins with \”Clean My Browser 2.0\”, virus scanning is needed on your computer. It is an indication that threat manages to enter the computer and was able to create unwanted changes. You may detect that from this intrusion, home page or new tab of browser was changed to Search.cleanmybrowser.com instead of your own settings. Likewise, doing an online search gives you suspicious results with pages filled with advertisements.
Search.cleanmybrowser.com seems to be unseen when getting a place on your computer. It is because of the technique used by attackers wherein adware are integrated into freeware. This attack can easily convey to Internet browser applications, but was made to directly hit Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox.
Makers of CleanMyBrowser visualize this hijacker to commit several goals. One is to display advertisements on your home page as soon as you open the browser. Ads may also be projected into search results page, in which most victims mistakenly clicks on ads. Interestingly and one function that endangers your privacy is the ability to gather information from your system. CleanMyBrowser collects data you used online including search keywords, web site visited, and other sensitive credentials. In totality, Search.cleanmybrowser.com presence on your computer aims to turnover earnings via online advertising scheme
Clean My Browser hijacker removal guide
Step1. Remove Clean My Browser page from the browser
First of all, Clean My Browser is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by Clean My Browser, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and Clean My Browser has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that Clean My Browser hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
Step2. Remove Clean My Browser traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed Clean My Browser!
Video guide on how to remove Betternewtabsearch.com from the system:
How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with Clean My Browser in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.