Beethoven is a new ransomware as a service (RaaS) that was spotted on a Russian hacking forum. Ransomware types of malware infect computers, encrypt files and then demand that victims pay to get their files back. In that regard, Beethoven is essentially the same as all the other threats from this category. What is unusual about it is the amount of money it demands. There is no specific amount and the money you are asked to pay depends on where you are in the world. Paying to get your files is rarely recommended by malware researchers but in the end, the decision is up to you. Currently, there is no other way to decrypt the files, however a security researcher Michael Gillespie has said that he may be able to help victims. If you choose to not pay the ransom, remove Beethoven.
Ransomware usually uses spam email and fake downloads to infect computers. If those two methods are used, it is not difficult to avoid an infection. Simply do not open every single email attachment you get without making sure it is safe to do so. Even if it comes seemingly from a government organization, it could all be a ploy to make you click on the attachment, which would lead to the download of the ransomware. Learn to differentiate between legitimate and possibly malware-infected emails. You ought to also avoid downloading things from unreliable sources. If you need something, use only legitimate sites. Keeping all your software up-to-date is also recommended.
As soon as it enters your computer, it will proceed to encrypt various files stored on your computer. It uses a complex encryption algorithm to do this, and once that is done, you will find a ransom note with instructions about what to do. Like we said before, the amount is different for users in different countries and interestingly enough, the ransomware uses the Big Mac Index to calculate how much you would need to pay, basically by examining the price of a Big Mac where you live. You have to make the decision when it comes to paying but do bear in mind that you would be essentially supporting cyber criminals if you do choose to pay. Investing into reliable backup would be a very reasonable decision because you would not need to worry about these kinds of infections.You would always have the files somewhere else. If you did have backup prior to infection, delete Beethoven and then restore your files.
Step by step instructions how to remove Beethoven virus.
STEP 1. Remove Beethoven virus from the system
- First of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Trojan Killer (here or from the product page):
- Return to main screen and choose the type of scan.
- Start the scan and wait untill it`s finished:
- After the scan is completed, you need to click on “Cure PC!” button to remove Beethoven virus:
- Now your system is free from annoying Beethoven browser extension!
STEP 2. Remove Beethoven virus from your browser
First of all, Beethoven is a virus what can be realy dangerous. So, here is the simple way to remove them from your computer. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft.
- Open the program and click on the Reset browser settings button.
- Select when options you want to reset and press “Reset“
Wait untill Trojan Killer sets selected options to the default state. Successful results will be checked with green checkmark.
Video guide bellow display how to remove Beethoven from your system completaly:
STEP 3. Beethoven prevention
- Avoid advertisements, you shouldn’t click on any ads and pop-ups in your browser, this can lead to the redirection on potentially viral pages!
- Spam messages from email, attached files in emails can appear to be malicious in most cases. Don’t download or open such attachments they can be infected with adware of malware!
- Surfing the internet, there are millions of phishing website on the internet. Each one of them can be very dangerous for your computer. Avoid such pages, try only reliable and trusted websites!
- Pay attention to what you install, there are tons of hijackers and malicious program that are being installed through bundled applications and downloaders. Don’t install any suspicious program and files, always check signer before proceding further!
By following this removal instruction we hope you will deal with Beethoven virus once and for all. In case you have any problems or this virus is still inside, leave a comment below or contact our Support Team.