Are you fed up facing 12startpage.com virus all the time in your home page? Well, definitely your computer is right now in a trouble and you need to get it fixed. Especially your browser requires a decent fix, since appearance of 12startpage.com on its startup and redirections through yahoo.com is not good for security of your personal data.
The 12startpage.com fake search engine will only show you not relevant results mixed with advertisement links. In order to avoid any consequences, we advise you to remove this infection as soon as you will be aware of its presence in your system.
12startpage.com has several purposes. One of them is to collect the information about user’s browsing habits. The other mission is to display targeted advertisement banners based on this collected data. These two goals are actually quite interconnected with one another. For example, you’ve been looking for certain gadget recently through certain commercial sites. Once your browser gets hijacked, the chances are that you will start facing advertisements and sponsored links in 12startpage.com hijacker, which will show ads about that particular gadget sold in other places.
Considering the above-said information, it is not safe for you to submit any search queries through 12startpage.com. It appears that this hijacker spies over you. So, each search query you submit through it will be collected and may be transferred to third parties for various illegal goals.
This behavior is classified as unwanted. Along with this, developers can alter the search results in your browser through this page by injecting ads in search results page, making them irrelevant. Because of all this, it is advised to remove 12startpage.com hijacker page from your browser and check your computer with a proper removal tool. Follow the removal guide for more information.
12startpage.com removal guide
STEP 1. Remove 12startpage.com virus from the browser
First of all, 12startpage.com is a browser hijackers, like many others. So, here is the simple way to remove them from the browser and get your homepage and search engine back. You just need to reset your browser settings. To do this automatically and for free, you can use the Reset Browser Settings tool from GridinSoft:
- Reset Browser Setting is a tool, included to the complex anti-malware program. So, first of all, you need to download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware (here or from the product page):
- Open the Tools tab on the top menu. Choose the Reset Browser Settings tools from the list:
- Select the browser, which is infected by 12startpage.com, and options, that you need to reset, and just do it! (Please, be aware, that this procedure will close all instances of the selected browsers, and save your work in them before clicking on the “Reset” button):
- When this process is done, you’ll see such screen. It means, that your browser settings are default now and 12startpage.com has been removed from your browser:
Video guide on how to reset browser automatically:
BUT!! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that 12startpage.com hasn’t installed some malicious software directly in your system. So, we strongly recommend every user, who has the same problem, to scan his computer after the browser resetting and make sure, that PC is clean and safe.
STEP 2. Remove 12startpage.com traces from the system
- Go back to the GridinSoft Anti-Malware main screen and choose the scan type:
- Scan your computer system:
- After the scan is completed, you will see if there is any adware on your PC. Remove the detected items by clicking on the “Apply” button:
- Finally, this window is a proof of your system’s absolutely cleanness. You removed 12startpage.com!
Video guide on how to remove 12startpage.com from the system:
STEP 3.How to prevent your PC from being reinfected with 12startpage.com in the future.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-Run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start” as demonstrated below:
The useful and interesting function may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-Run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore this file” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Confirm”.